Thursday, February 28, 2013

A little nest progress

This has been one crazy whirlwind of a month. I can hardly believe it is almost gone already!!  I cannot wait for spring to finally arrive and bring warmer weather (and baby bunnies & lil chirpy chicks). But at the same time I have so much to get done in the next few weeks and months. I find myself half begging for time to slow down, and half begging for it to speed up. I guess I will just have to get better at appreciating the speed at which it goes!

We are getting into the thick of paperwork now, trying to get forms filled out by the appropriate people, *just* the way they want it for the receiving country. It's tricky to get people to realize how very exact it all must be.

 My day at the township went something like this:
"I need this with your letterhead and filled out."
"It's not in the records?"
"No I don't think we can leave it blank."
"Don't forget the letterhead."
"Yes it must be done in blue ink."
"Yes with your letterhead."
"No you cannot copy it after it has been signed, then notarize it."
"The Notary seal must be right side up."
"I'm sorry, it's really not me being this picky! Look here is a picture of this sweet boy you are helping."
"Thank you!" (knowing I will probably have to return the next day to have something corrected, but at least they tried. )

Faxing forms that take an hour to go through only to realize the second it goes through that you forgot to sign it and have to do it again. Drat.

Scheduling appointments for health checks for 7 people was probably a nightmare come true for the lady at the doctors office.  I thought after I told her originally that I needed *7* appointments that she might need to leave the room and do some sort of stress management techniques before returning to put them in the computer. After she realized how organized I was and what we needed it for she was much better about it. I tried to make sure she knew I was a patient person, and was not in a rush. I am glad I took the time to drive out to the office to do it and that it was a very slow day at the office.

Over the last 2 years I have had the 'opportunity' to get VERY good at doing paperwork.  I said all the way through it that God was just training me for when we finally got to adopt. Boy was I ever right there. It was tiring, and frustrating back then, doing the same forms 10 times over again just because some letter or word or number was not correct, or someone lost it, or what ever. I think adopting will actually be much easier because of it all. Well the paper chase part anyway! And really, the paper chase is the easiest part of adoption. The emotional toll it takes is something else entirely. It really is the "paper pregnancy" that so many have likened it to. In fact I think I am more of a hormonal mess now than I was with all of my 4 pregnancies combined. I should not be surprised about that though. At least when you are pregnant in the more usual sense, you don't worry about what is happening to your 'baby' to the same degree as you do in adoption, generally speaking. The child is not at the mercy of people you don't know, half way around the world.

So if you see me just burst into tears seemingly at random, that is probably the cause. Yesterday I was just frustrated at everything for absolutely no reason that I could figure out. Today I feel like my heart has been crying all day. Bah. Here is a GREAT blog post about how to support those stuck in the thick of this process: http://jenhatmaker.com/blog/2011/11/02/how-to-be-the-village

In other news, we have slowly been making progress around the house to get it finished up. Ever room in the whole house needed paint when we moved in. So far we have painted 3 of them and picked out paint for a few more. The studio and dining room are a very pale blue. The kitchen is a light green (sort of minty), and will have some brighter yellowy green accents to brighten it up even more. The cabinets are going to be the same blue we picked out for the bathroom which is a light teal blue. The left over teal blue and brighter green will also go up in Jacob's room along with some espresso brown that I bought for painting some accents. I might use a little on the cabinets in the kitchen too.  I was not sure what I wanted to do as far as nursery decor until yesterday. I didn't want it to be really babyish. He will be about 2.5 yrs old when he gets home, and will quickly outgrow all of those cutesy owl and animal themes they have (and they are pretty cute). So I was browsing through a few sites last night and finally found it. The perfect theme for his room. And for that, you will have to wait until I get it done, or at least closer. Hehe! <smirk>

I did get his new crib yesterday though. We had bought one from someone with a bedroom set sight unseen and when I got it home to put it together it was broken and recalled (grumble). I ended up deciding on one that was much lower to the ground anyway, which will be better later on as well as fit in the low sloping space of his bedroom. It was a fantastic low price, even coming with the toddler rail conversion. And it's a bit more modern looking and very sturdy. Perfect! We put it up yesterday even though we still need to paint, just because I wanted to see how it fit in the room.

I cannot wait to make his bedding set!

If anyone is wondering about this crib, here is the link to it on Amazon. It was out of stock there when I went to order it so I did end up ordering it from Walmart instead. It is the same price there. There was a ding on one corner but it wasn't a big enough deal for me to send it back. I just faced that towards the wall. It is adjustable in mattress height and could still be lowered about 4 more inches. So when he graduates to toddler bed I won't have to worry about him rolling out from as high up as some cribs are!

Here is a picture of the old crib and a better look at the way the ceilings are in our second story. It was the attic that was renovated and made into what they technically call a 1/4 story. None of the ceilings are not sloped. Yes I hit my head occasionally still, after a year and a half, but I am getting better about placing furniture and such so that I naturally walk around the low spots. I am glad we are not any taller than we are!

"Jacob's" room had been the guest room. Cozy and a favorite of all.
That's all for now I think.