Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Christmas reflections

When I was a child, one of my favorite Christmas memories was waking up really early and sneaking out to see what Santa had left for us. Usually there were so many toys and gifts under the tree that the ring of patents extended several feet beyond the lowest branches. As I became a parent I fought the urge to do the same for my children, instead trying to place the emphasis on the reason we give more than the material gifts themselves. I think we have a lot more we could do to really get that message ingrained into our kids, but I think we have done ok.

 This year with trying to budget tighter, and save as much as possible for the adoption, it has been even more important. We did not buy much. I made quilts for the twins as I could not bring myself to buy them yet another toy to be left on the floor.  My son got a little money towards something he is saving up for. My eldest daughter got some art supplies that she had asked for. Our middle daughter got a giant dry erase market board that her dad built for her, and some duck tape. I am quite happy to report that they were all very happy with their gifts. Oh how I love my children. Between that and our wonderfully supportive family digging through their homes to find things for us to sell to help with our adoption, I don't think I have had a more wonderful Christmas. I hope yours was equally wonderful. God Bless!